Thursday, October 2, 2008

Only in America

My PLST and I have discussed the use of TV/DVD's and the like with regard to our kids at some length. We generally agree that the use of these things should be minimised, and have in fact questioned ourselves continually as to whether or not we are too harsh on BB by limiting cartoon time amongst other things. We're not total control freaks, he does watch In The Night Garden occasionally.

This article from The New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/15/national/15toys.html?_r=1&oref=slogin makes me feel like a parenting guru. I mean, toys aimed at kids 7+ bought for a baby under one. Morons!

It's true though. Everywhere we go, new parents are telling us how smart, clever or intelligent their offspring are. Whilst I'd admit that a certain amount of academic success is probably more than useful, surely there's more to life? After all, I know my share of really clever people who are complete and utter knob jockeys.

I wonder if their parents gave them computers from an early age? My mum couldn't afford one for us when all our friends started getting them. Perhaps that was a blessing in disguise?

If only it was Only in America.

2 comments:

Fiona said...

It's mad. And the problem is these children often grow up with not being street wise and can't cope with the real world.

BFS said...

Finally. The voice of reason!