Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Free Range Kids

I can't remember where I got this site from, but in the age of the helicopter parent, it's refreshing. Obviously, I like it because I am a cold hearted, callous bar steward who just wants them to learn the hard way. Well, that's how some people see it, I'm sure. I keep meaning to read it more often, so I'll leave a link on the page.

Lenore Skenazy, the woman who infamously allowed her 9 year old son to find his way home from downtown Manhattan. I remember reading it earlier this year. I recalled how, aside from the first 6 weeks of primary 1, no adult walked me to school. After that, I knew the way. It drives me nuts how people judge you when you try and encourage a bit of trust in your own kids, because they feel the need to smother theirs. But like all good things, take the good bits, and work out the crap for yourselves.....

Here's a cracking post though, just to give you a flavour of how controversial it can be:
What is WRONG with you people??? Giving our kids SOME independence is great. Giving them ALL of the independence they can take at age 9 is just plain dangerous (and irresponsible). My husband is a police officer and our children are only left with the trust of the teachers in their school or an occasional babysitting day with their grandparents. Otherwise, my husband and my JOB as parents are to RAISE them until they are ADULTS. Nine or Ten do not classify as adults. Or even teenagers for that matter. What on earth makes you think that a molester just won't go ahead and take your sons away Lenore. You feel you can trust strangers, but you CAN'T. Molesters will do ANYTHING do get what they want. Including holding a gun or knife to your child's body and MAKING them follow them to a car or designated area so they can hurt your child/children. Whoever leaves their child to walk amongst their city to take subways and cabs at age 9 does not deserve to be a parent. If you are blessed with children, you need to keep your eyes on them forever. It is your eternal job. Keeping watch over them while they are babies requires constant attention; watching them play as young children requires you to give them SOME distance. While they are teens and grow into adults, you give them space. But NEVER, EVER put your child into a situation where they are completely on their own to wander the city at such a young age. LENORE, you are just ASKING kidnappers to take your child away. Don't you LOVE them ENOUGH to be with them and sacrifice YOUR TIME for them. I grew up in the same time you did. My parents NEVER allowed me to do the things your children do. Because they loved me, cared for me and my sister and we both knew our parents were always there, whether or not we needed them. They just were there, in case. What a warm, loving set of parents I realize I had. They never abandoned me or my sister like you have your sons. I repay my parents now by honoring them and checking on them and taking care of them, like they did us. As you age, you and your husband will grow quite lonely when your sons don't give a crap about you, either.

I wonder if she is not the perfect woman? ie, her knickers are a size too small? Uptight or what?

Some people can take it too far of course, but every day is a school day.

2 comments:

Sharah said...

In all fairness it was Manhattan!!! Very diff than either where you or I live!

Anonymous said...

Manhattan is different to where you live? It's all the same! Drive on the wrong side, everyone talks funny a good beer is almost impossible to find!