Friday, August 21, 2009

Give Me Strength

MPLST was at a toddler group committee meeting the other night. On her return, I asked (because I am interested in these things!) what was discussed. Answer: not a lot, but cleaning of the toys came up again.

Well you can count me out of that says I! I'm of the opinion that germs help develop healthy immune systems - within reason of course. It's not like these toys are filthy, in fact they are kept pretty damn clean - probably cleaner than the toys in my living room.

How wrong was I? This morning, whilst enjoying a cup of coffee, I was handed a pack of Flash wipes. Turns out, all the toys were getting cleaned during this session. Why is it that people need a sterile environment for kids to play in these days? So, rather than moan like the grumpy old man I really am, I played along for a little while before ignoring everyone and drinking more coffee. After all, my other half is at work - if you can't go to "mother" and toddlers and drink coffee, when else can you do it?

But it got worse. I had thought that this was just the annual declaration of war on the bugs that infest all the toys we let our kids play with, prompted by a local mum who is never without her supply of anti bacterial handwipes. But no - it's partially at least down to the dreaded Swine Flu. I heard someone saying that the soft toys couldn't be cleaned with the wipes, and so no one was to play with them until further notice. This because it was apparently along the lines of guidance that local nurseries have been given. I wanted to scream NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I think when (rather than if) the pigs get there own back for all the bacon butties we've consumed in these parts, the poor buggers who get it first will be treated like Lepers by the local community.





No comments: