Saturday, September 6, 2008

Let The Blethering Continue

Finally, they are home. Ironically, the natural birth option resulted in an even longer stay in hospital for MPLST and the Little Lad, then the previous C Section. The silver lining to that cloud is that the recovery won't be anywhere near as long as last time.
Dad's life has been pretty straight forward, if just a little tiring during their extended stay in hospital. LL looks like a pin cushion. He's had more needles in him than Amy Winehouse. Last time, I was ill prepared for a C Section, this time I wasn't really expecting (does anyone?) the infection, incubator, drip and lumbar puncture. Just as he sorted himself out, MPLST slipped in the shower and needed her stitches redone. Ouch! I can't compete with those two....

In the week that I wasn't blogging, I missed some great blog material too. There was the Meg Ryan soundalike in labour next to us. I swear they were working on their next one already. SS's reaction to her youngest brother was a moment to cherish, as was her departing "I think someone has forgotten to give their daughter a kiss" comment, aimed at no one in particular. Five going on bloody fifteen that one is. I've also been pondering where all the normal people go to have kids, because outside the Maternity Hospital we were in, it seemed to be a collection of junkies, jaikey's and jail birds. Perhaps growing up is bringing out the snob in me?

In retrospect though, we can look back with fond memories. LL just inherited his mother's drama queen gene. She got far more rest in hospital than she would ever have gotten here. The neo natal unit seems to have had a calming effect on LL, who is exceptionally contented most of the time. When we got home, the trials and tribulations of our week were put into context when we found out our neighbours baby has had heart surgery, and is very ill.

So, now we're home, it's back to being dad. My role will revert to chief cook and bottle washer for the remainder of my leave. The worries I had over BB rejecting his younger brother proved unfounded, he has carried on as if nothing has happened. He doesn't seem to mind the new baby hanging off mum's boob all day long either. I know....give it time.

No comments: