Wednesday, September 10, 2008

2 Babies - Twice the Work?

Having two is simply not as straight forward as having twice the hassles of having one. Whilst I'm sure we will benefit in the years ahead to some degree by having our kids so close together, right now we're left questioning our own judgment. Why? Because we are totally wrecked!
LL is not even 2 weeks old, both the wife and I have golf size bags under our eyes. Our house resembles Ground Zero and all of that with a baby who is utterly spoiling us in terms to him being fairly easy going. I should have known this, because I recall just how knackered I was after SS spent a weekend with us when BB came along. I could and should have learned something from that me thinks....
BB's terrible two's tantrums are increasing in their ferocity which leads me to ask if this is a direct answer to him having a baby brother, yet on the other hand, he seems genuinely excited at the baby, despite said baby stealing his prized possessions. He did seem just a little put out yesterday to realise that his push chair had been converted back to a pram and contained his little brother, leaving no room for him. That aside though, I think the tantrums were coming anyway.

On a positive note this week, BB and I are having much more QT. Mummy continues to do nightshifts pretty much single handedly, whilst BB and I do our breakfast routine. He has had 2 major high points this week, well one for him and one for me really! He was really impressed with the ride on lawnmower I've now got to mow the lawn, which he hitched a ride on for the duration with the biggest possible smile a little boy could muster. I was really chuffed to have him do his first wee wee in the grown up loo, despite Domestic Management thinking it's too early for that stuff. I'm not getting carried away, but it's a start.

Of course, having two, results in twice the pleasure, but human nature makes it easy to see past that bit right now! Besides that, the babies are synchronised in that they are NEVER EVER happy, contented and settled at the same time.
SS is coming this weekend. Much as though I'm looking forward to that, roll on Monday!

2 comments:

Fiona said...

At this rate you will be glad to get back to work for the rest.

BFS said...

Indeed! I've yet to meet a new dad offshore who isn't partly glad to get a whole night of undisturbed sleep.