Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Battle of Wills


I'm sure it's not the first, and it'll be one in a line of many to come, but BB and dad are on a collision course. Head on!

It seems that he has taken to throwing tantrums at school. I can't stand to be the one who's kid is taking up all the teachers time, and I aim to nip it in the bud before it gets any worse. The annoying thing is, the wee snotterbag has sucked me into more arguments than I should have allowed already. Crikey, at 5 years old, he's pulling the strings in here already......

Oddly, his tempers are short lived, and he often falls back into the angelic little boy we all know and love very quickly. Can't think who else in this house changes mood at the snap of a finger like that ;-) Still, it's not on and it's already getting a regular feature of our discussion with Mrs M at the school gate. The growling and venting are not anything he has witnessed at home, but already I can see he is getting enough attention to keep them going, but I'll be damned if he's getting away with it.

After getting sucked into one row too many, and having used the secret phone line to both Mrs M and Santa, threatened to take away his new toys, even his bike (all of which I know is pointless, because the spoiled little Sir will happily play with something else), we (or rather I) have new plan.

We agreed tonight at bed time that I shall be asking Mrs M about his behaviour. I should mention he had already lost his story tonight for being cheeky to dad. Bedtime stories seem a fair trade at the moment, so here's plan K, or is it L? I'll be finding out if he has been rude/cheeky/aggressive/angry/sulky/pick your own adjective and insert, to any adults at school, and if so, he loses his bedtime story. If, on the other hand, he is good....all day, every day, then he can have two. This is an easy threat to follow through on, and whether you consider it good or bad parenting, I'm hoping it's effective parenting.

Until he learns, adapts and overcomes......

No comments: